"Hello," I said, in a friendly manner, for it was not too often that I meet anyone in particular in dreams.
"Hi," he replied, dejectedly.
"What’s wrong?"
"The love of my life has left me for another."
Awkward silence.
"The love of my life has left me for another. Now I am all alone."
I squatted down beside him with quiet condolence.
"My life has lost all meaning for the love of my life is gone. She was all of my meaning and now I am empty."
He looked at me and heaved a sigh so deep that, I suspect, lizards can never ever heave a sigh nearly as deep if not for being in a dream.
"I heard you take pictures in dreams," without waiting for my concurrence, he requested, "Take a picture of me, to remind all the other lizards... and everyone out there, everybody. Everybody..."
I took out my camera and waited for him to finish his sentence.
Nothing. I hesitated then prompted, "...remind them that...?" A least offensive prompt, I thought.
"No…" He looked at the ground in front of him and he begun to wept,
"Remind them that I love her. And she is my everything. And she has left me. And I am nothing. Remind them that I love her. And that she has left me. And that I love her. And that my tiny heart has broken into one. million. pieces. I gave my heart to her... and when she hastily threw it back at me, when it fell to the ground forever, when it smashed into one million pieces forever... I love her still, with all of every single one of my one million pieces. I have one million hearts that love her, but she has left me. And I cannot forget my sorrow and I cannot confront myself and I cannot confront everything that I thought I knew that I thought I was my courage is broken my spirit is broken my love has left me..."
He looked up from the ground, and sighed again at the sun,
"Remind them that I am a jilted lizard.
And that I love her."
With that, he stood up. He looked to the right of the road. He asked me for the time.
I didn’t have it.
He said nevermind.
He rubbed his face with the back of his left wrist. He walked straight ahead and away from me.
Perhaps, I was a little disoriented with his emotions. I forgot to take a picture of him. Instead, I was looking at his solitary figure... wondering what would be the right thing to say...
A shiny black car zoomed by to run him over.
No comments:
Post a Comment